There are four important things you need to consider:
- The shape of the bedroom
- The positioning of the bed
- The sector the bedroom occupies
- Decorative objects in the bedroom
It is best to have a rectangular or square shaped bedroom. If your bedroom has an irregular shape, try to use a good fortune symbol screen as a divider. This will transform the bedroom into a more regular shape. Never use mirrors as a feng shui cure for the bedroom.
Position your bed such that your head is pointed towards your best direction according to your Kua number. You can check your best direction here. If you cannot position your bed to face your best direction, at least try and have it face one of your other good directions.
For allocation of bedrooms, you can decide according to the later heaven Pa Kua trigrams placed around the eight directions. According to this arrangement, each direction has a representative member of the family. The chart on the right presents different members of the family and their corresponding directions.
The yin component plays an important role in the bedroom. This is because it is a place to rest, recuperate and relax. Do not make your bedroom too yang. The energy in the bedroom should suggest calm and quiet. The colour scheme used should be muted. Lighting should be dimmed and there should not be a television in the bedroom. However, make sure it is not too yin. For example, if you are lacking of energy, you may benefit from a red (yang) bedsheet.
Key Taboos To Watch Out For In The Bedroom
- The bed should not be placed directly below an exposed beam.
- Do not position the bed so it faces another bedroom door.
- Do not position any mirrors facing the bed.
- The bed should not be placed between 2 doors.
- Neither should the bed face a protruding corner.
- The headboard must be placed against a wall. It should not be “floating”.
- Never move the bed when the wife is pregnant
- The bedroom should not be located above a garage, storeroom or kitchen.
- Do not have the bedroom door face the top of the stairs.
- Do not sleep in a room directly below a toilet.
- Do not have fancy archways in your bedroom.
- Do not place potted plants or an aquarium in the bedroom.
|Compass Direction Sector||Suitability|
|Northwest||Patriarch of the family, Master Bedroom|
|Southwest||Matriarch of the family, Family Room|
The following article is taken from the "Feng Shui World (July/August 2005)". To subscribe, please click here.